Monday, May 16, 2011

Confession #1: I have never worked in a library

Today was my first day working in a library. I am doing and internership with Bingham Creek Library this summer and part of Fall semester. Since my area of interest is Childrens/Teen Serices, it makes sense that I am working with both the children's and teen librarians at Bingham Creek.

So, what did I do today? I arrived and after a little miscommunicaton as to what I was supposed to be working on, the teen librarian suggested that I work the children's desk. Talk about trial by fire. It's not like I have never done a reference interview, but the library shelves everything differently than the bookstore does. I don't know the Dewey Decimal System very well, so after a little trial and error, it worked. I was able to help parents and children find books, make suggestions, and offer to place item so hold for others.

I was able to run the Monday Night Movie in the meeting room and also get some research done for the upcoming Summer Reading Program.

It was fun and I did have a few deer in the headlights moments, but I worked through them and think it will be good.

Stay tuned for tomrorrow's confession...

Thanks for Reading!

A

No comments:

Post a Comment