Saturday, July 2, 2011

Electronic Book Talk

One of my favorite series for young adults is the Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan. I discovered this series a few years ago and I cannot stop talking about how much I love it!

I was raised reading Tolkien. My father, a HUGE science fiction/fantasy geek read the LOTR series to us over and over again as children. These images are burned into my mind and play a huge part in how I remember my childhood. Fast forward to 2 years ago. I was working in the children's department of the store and I had a customer come in and say that her son loved LOTR and could not find anything that was comparable. We started looking over the shelves and we came upon The Ruins of Gorlan. I told her I had not read it, but it was popular. We read the back of the book and he young man (who was about 12 years old) sat down and read the first chapter. After a few minutes, he came up and said "This is it! This is exactly like Lord of the Rings!".

Nevertheless, I was intrigued. I bought the book that night and read the second book the next day. Then, I started waiting. The books were published in Australia, but the American publisher was taking it's own sweet time getting them here. I waited for books 3-10 over the last 2 years and I have devoured and loved every minute of these books.

My favorite: The Kings of Clonmel but until that time it had been the Battle for Skandia. I am engrossed by these characters and love them almost as much as I love my own family.

So, here's my electronic book talk on the wonderful series by John Flanagan. I have tried not to reveal too much of the plot lines, rather give you a taste of them in hopes you too will pick them up and read them.

All the book cover images are courtesy of www.rangersapprentice.com (They are actually wallpaper's that can be downloaded). The photograph of John Flanagan is courtesy of Creative Commons and the image of the bronze and silver oak leaves are courtesy of google images, labeled for commercial reuse.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment