Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Confession #1

It's been quite a while since I blogged here. So, I have a confession.

I am no longer a would-be librarian. I am actually a librarian!



I work for Salt Lake County Library services and work as a sub, which means I get to go to all the libraries in SL County and work.


Worst things about being a sub:
  • You sometimes have to take what you can get. There are not an overabundance of hours some weeks, so if you are fast, you get the jobs. If not, well, be grateful you worked a lot the week before.
  • Travelling to the different libraries can be a pain. 
  • Each library is different. While they are all the same on a basic level, each one does things just different enough that it gets confusing after a while. Believe me, remembering which libraries do punch cards for Reader's Choice can be difficult.
Best things about being a sub:
  • You get to choose your own schedule and choose which libraries you work at.
  • You get to serve a variety or patrons.
  • No responsibility. You show up, you work, you go home.
  • Paychecks...I love being paid 150% of my previous life salary.
  • The patrons--I love them! I have made friends at several libraries that I wouldn't normally frequent and I love it!
  • Being able to use my degree! I finally feel like the past two years of hard work are paying off. Yes, I am considered a "temporary" employee, but I like it.
  • The opportunity to work at so many places and network. This is the best! However, it can be like being constantly job interviewing.
Well, that's it for today's confession. I plan on blogging about my experiences subbing around the county and the things I encounter.

P.S. What's the world coming to? Teen Paranormal Romance? I thought this was a passing fancy by evidently not...



1 comment:

  1. I have to admit, I am an adult addicted to Teen Paranormal romance!

    ReplyDelete