Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Confession #7...

I have my dream job. I am finally enjoying my work life. But, it's a lot of hard work.

One of the most difficult things about being a librarian, is not knowing what kind of question you will get next.

Case in point...tonight I am working (of course I am) and I have had 19 different patrons ask me 10 different questions. While most of them have been, "How do I print?", there have been a few that are more difficult to answer.

Answering reference questions is difficult. You have to ask a series of questions in order to get to the root of what a patron is asking. Very rarely will they come out and tell you exactly what they are looking for.

Except the patron I just helped. :)

So, it's always interesting when a patron walks up. What are the looking for? Can I help them? I do my best, but sometimes there are those questions that I just can't answer.

When in doubt, I ask another librarian. I have found I learn more when I ask questions. So if you are a librarian, be forewarned. I may be coming to you for help!

No comments:

Post a Comment