Saturday, February 9, 2013

Confession #13...What is Yu-Gi-Oh and why are grown men playing it...


I love to read kids books. I can talk mysteries, humor, adventure and especially fantasy. I like most books I have read and love quite a few. There are some I haven't liked quite as much, which usually means I was distracted while trying to read it and couldn't get into the story/experience/etc.



However, there is an enigma that continues to elude me...what is Yu-Gi-Oh? This whole phenomenon is something I don't understand. I've googled it so I have a basic idea, something like an offshoot of Pokemon, which believe me, is a whole different concept I don't understand, but I digress...

So, the Donkey Kong of this generation? I thought that was Mario Kart. (Sidenote: my 6 year old nephew smokes me at Mario Kart on a regular basis...so much so, I have quit playing with him)

Anyway, back to Yu-Gi-Oh. I still don't get it. Anime? Cartoon? What's the draw of this?

The library where I am working today is having a Yu-Gi-Oh tournament. To be honest, I thought there would be a few kids, swapping cards (at least I think they are cards, they have big, huge, binders with clear plastic sheets that look to be the size of baseball card holders). I walked in the room, because the lights were being weird, and I was slightly taken aback by what I observed.

This tournament was not just kids, but teenagers and adults. I assume these men are parents, although some of them looked like they had just crawled out of their mother's basements...not really, but you know what I am talking about...AND their leader looked to be about 22 years old. What is a 22 year old doing in a library on a Saturday afternoon playing cards with kids and grown men?

So, if anyone knows what this mystical thing is, please feel free to share your vast knowledge and understanding with me.

Please.

And on that note, how is Ninjago pronounced? Nin-jah-go? Nen-yahhhh-goooo? I give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment